Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Remembering Meka: So Many Memories


On Sunday (09/19) I learned that a very special person has passed away. She was strong and courageous. She was my friend and I loved her. Her name was NaaMeka White.

I met Meka at the Victory Church when she & I lived in Atlanta. It must have been 2001. However, in January 2004, we kicked our friendship up a notch. I was driving cross country to Los Angeles and I needed a co-pilot. Meka came to my going away dinner, learned of the news and said she wish she had known. Literally, 24hrs later, we were on a 36hr (non-stop) journey, heading west. When we got L.A., I only knew 2 people here. Meka moved to L.A. in March of that year. She became my family.
I loved my friend.
[S]he went away from me.
There's nothing more to say.
The poem ends, softly as it began -
I loved my friend.
-Langston Hughes
NAAMEKA WHITE
(April 25, 1974 - September 19, 2010)

No comments: